Want to find the best basement game table? You’re not alone. Whether you’re moving to a new home with a basement or you’re looking to overhaul a space in your home and turn it into a rec room, choosing the best board game table is key to unlocking a whole new world of fun.
Beyond helping you create memories with the people in your life that matter most, the right game table can help you save space and provide aesthetic benefits in your basement or rec room. But, choosing the right basement game table is easier said than done.
The good news? We’re here to help you navigate this process to find the best game table for rec rooms or basements. Below, we’ll discover all that goes into choosing the best game table for basements: size & shape, specific features, design elements, and other considerations.
We’ll even provide you with a specific recommendation if you’re searching for the best game table for rec rooms or basements. Towards the end, we’ll offer tips for designing your new rec room or basement and making the most of the space.
We’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s start by addressing an important question: should invest in a basement game table in the first place?
Should You Invest in a Game Table for Your Basement or Rec Room?
There’s no denying the benefits of game tables. They enhance the way you play - whether you’re playing the top selling board games, trying to perfect your dungeons and dragons setup, or wondering how to host poker night.
With unique features specific to gaming, you experience your favorite games in a whole new way. We’ll talk about specific features that make a difference in the next section - but just know for now that investing in a basement game table creates a more seamless playing experience for you and your friends/family.
Beyond that, a quality game table can serve as a whole lot more than just a table you play games on. You can use it for entertaining guests while you build a puzzle - or you can use the table for wining and dining guests.
What’s more, a dedicated game table can help you with storing your favorite games and keeping everything organized. This means you don’t have to necessarily get the best board game shelves. On top of all this, a quality rec room or basement gaming table provides aesthetic benefits.
All things considered, yes - we endorse your decision to invest in one of these tables. If you can justify the expense and you have room to spare, there is no better way to spend your money from an entertainment standpoint!
But keep in mind that the benefits we’ve just described only apply when you get the best game table for basements or rec rooms. And because you came here looking for advice on how to choose the right setup for your home, we’ll give you some tips below…
Key Factors to Consider When Searching for the Best Game Table for Rec Rooms or Your Basement
The best rec room or basement game table for your unique home is influenced by a few factors. What exactly are you looking to play on the table? How much space do you have to work with, and how many guests do you want to be able to accommodate at once? What sort of design theme are you looking for?
All of these questions need to be answered along your quest to uncover the best game table for rec rooms and basements. And to help you narrow down your search for the right table, we want to highlight a few key factors to consider - starting with size and shape.
Size & Shape
The specific basement or rec room you’re working with will dictate your ideal board game table size. You obviously want to maximize the size of your table so you have ample room for all your guests to sit and play comfortably. But, you also want to leave space around the table for guests to walk around and perhaps partake in other activities.
There’s a fine line between a table that’s too big and not big enough. Finding that balance is tough, but far from impossible. You should consider what else you envision yourself and your guests doing in your basement or rec room - allocating space for not just your table, but perhaps a bar, a pool table, a sofa, a weight rack - only you can determine how much space you can justify for your table.
Beyond the table’s size, you need to consider the table’s shape. While circular tables have their time and place, they aren’t always the most practical choice. That’s why we recommend a rectangle game table. These tend to offer a better gameplay experience while maximizing space.
The specific features of a gaming table should be taken into account in your search for the best game table for your basement or rec room. After all, these features are what make the gaming experience so special!
You may have specific features in mind that matter most to you - but here are a few that we think you should prioritize to unlock a gaming experience unlike ever before:
- A recessed felt playing surface: we recently wrote an article explaining why recessed gaming tables are better. This feature eliminates the frustration of dropping cards or dice onto the floor while creating a more seamless playing experience on the lowered felt surface.
- Individual player stations: these create a unique experience where everyone has their own chip/dice cubbies, card slots, drink holders, and more.
- Removable tabletop: this allows for effortless conversion from dining or working to gaming. It’s one of the most important features to look for in a gaming table in our opinion - no matter the room you play in. Not only does it add to the versatility of the table, but it means you can store stuff under the tabletop or leave games set up for the next round!
Learn more about what features you should look for in our article discussing board game table features. For now, let’s move on to the actual design of your table.
Whether you’re designing a room from scratch or want to ensure your table is cohesive with an existing layout, being able to match the design of your table to the basement or rec room is key. You can match your gaming table wood with other wooden furniture in the space - but beyond the wood grain, you should consider the actual design of the table. If you’re going with a mid-century modern theme, you’ll want a mid-century modern table to match, for example.
A high-quality board game table that checks off all your boxes won’t be cheap. But believe us when we say it’s with every penny. Just ask anyone who’s taken the leap and invested in one of these tables if they regret their decision - you’ll have a hard time finding someone who will tell you they are less than satisfied!
With that said, your budget will influence the size, features, and design of your table - and this will likely be your limiting factor. You may be tempted to save costs by going with cheaper tables or a game table topper, but you end up getting what you pay for. You’ll be disappointed in the end and regret your decision.
Our advice would be to simply delay the purchase until you can afford the best of the best. And with all that said, we want to introduce you to the best game table for rec rooms and basements below.
What is the Best Game Table for Basements & Rec Rooms?
Finding board game tables that are worth the money is much easier said than done these days - as there are more options than ever before. With that said, you can take the criteria we’ve provided above and start your search for the perfect basement game table - or, you can bring your unique vision to life right here at Bandpass Design. We make it easier than ever to create the custom board game table you’ve been dreaming of.
The Dresden is one of the most sophisticated, revolutionary multifunctional furniture for small spaces. While it’s often used in a living room dining room layout to serve multiple purposes, you can benefit from bringing it into any basement or rec room as well. Converting between gaming and other uses - such as dining, studying, working, or drinking - is as easy as lifting the top and placing it off to the side.
But, the actual gaming experience with this piece of innovative furniture is life-changing. You’ll never look back. It features a felt playing surface that can be raised and lowered to the perfect level depending on your specific game and preferences. Individual player stations around the board ensure everyone is set up for a comfortable, well-thought-out playing experience. Everyone will be asking you when you’re hosting game night next after having the pleasure of playing on your Dresden!
You can really make this table your own by configuring your size, choosing your wood grain, selecting a design, and adding any other features/accessories to complete the experience. Once you have your dream basement game table configured, we’ll get to work bringing it to life - handcrafting the table from the finest materials with unparalleled attention to detail.
Fun Basement Game Table Ideas You Can Consider to Help You Perfect Your Gaming Space
Once you have your new Dresden, we want to provide you with a few fun basement game table ideas to perfect your rec room space. We encourage you to read our full article on small game room ideas for more inspiration - but these insights will point you in the right direction:
- Install custom shelving: Custom shelving can be a great way to store your board games and keep them organized. Consider adding adjustable shelves to accommodate games of different sizes. While you came here searching for the best game table for basements and rec rooms, we also have an incredible, sophisticated board game display shelf worth checking out.
- Create a game library: Designate a section of your gaming space as a game library, where you can display your games like a bookstore. Add comfortable seating, good lighting, and a cozy atmosphere to create a relaxing reading and gaming experience. If you’re looking for inspiration, consider our blog posts on the best cooperative board games, the best card games with a standard deck, or our tabletop role playing games list.
- Install a sound system: Installing a high-quality sound system can help create a more immersive gaming experience, especially for games with sound effects and music. This is not something that can be overlooked if you’re trying to be the best game night host possible!
- Add comfortable seating: Comfortable seating is essential for long gaming sessions. What good is the best game table for rec rooms or basements if everyone is squirming in discomfort? For the game table itself, get the best board game table chairs. You can also consider adding sofas and love seats around the space for lounging between games.
- Install good lighting: Lighting can make a big difference in the atmosphere of your gaming space. Consider adding dimmable lights or task lighting to provide the right amount of illumination. We personally love the ambiance of multi-colored LED lights - consider setting the vibe with these.
- Create a snack bar: Set up a small snack bar or mini-fridge stocked with drinks and snacks to keep players energized and hydrated during long gaming sessions. Because your Dresden table can be effortlessly converted between gaming and snacking, you don’t have to stress about spills or crumbs on your felt playing surface.
- Incorporate board game-themed decor: Add decorative elements that complement the theme of your favorite games, such as themed rugs, curtains, or throw pillows. If you really want to get creative in your basement or rec room, use some board game-themed artwork. You can find posters or paintings of classic games - or more contemporary art like giant chess pieces or Monopoly pieces. Get creative - the possibilities are endless!
Final Thoughts on Bringing a Game Table Into the Basement or Rec Room
We hope you feel more confident choosing the best basement game table for your unique space after reading this article. Investing in a rec room game table can make a world of difference in how you entertain friends and family - while contributing to a better aesthetic in the room itself.
And now that we’ve armed you with advice on how to choose the best game table for rec rooms and explained what separates the Dresden from the rest, it’s time to start playing around and seeing what’s possible! Once you experience that first game night with friends, you’ll know you chose the right basement game table.